Visitors to this page

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Vivian's Birth Story

I woke up Saturday morning (4/17) with cramps. I've being feeling cramps for a few weeks, so I continued with my plans for the day thinking that these cramps would go away soon. I took a shower and started getting ready for Kim's baby shower. The cramps started to get a little stronger and I started having contractions. Kyle called the OB around 7:20pm and I called my mom. Around 8:30am my mom arrived, we handed Jacqueline to her and headed to the hospital. There was a race going on that morning and we had to detour to get to the hospital. Kyle screamed through the window to a cop who was directing traffic: "My wife is in labor!". It was like a scene of movie! :> I got checked in and I was 3cm and 90% effaced. My contractions at this point were strong. Dr. Steveson was the doctor on call. I asked how long should I wait to have my epidural. He said that would be better to wait until I was 4-6cm to increase my odds of having VBAC. When you are in excruciating pain, that sounds like an eternity. I was determine to do anything in my power to avoid another c-section. I followed the doctor's suggestion and waited....and waited....and waited some more...not by choice at this point The anesthesiologist was busy and couldn't give my 'happy juice' until another patient's c-section was over. I waited about 3 hours until I received the epidural. I was probably 6-7cm at this point. I didn't get relief right away. It took a while for the epidural to work and finally I had some relief. Kyle and I were just chilling and talking to Nicole (the nurse). Dr. Stevenson came to check my progress and I was 9-9 1/2 cm. It was around 1pm when I got to 10cm and I labored for another few hours. Dr. Stevenson wanted me to labor down until the baby got to position +2. Everything was looking good and going better than expected. Both nurse and the doctor kept saying how this was the perfect scenario for a VBAC. Vivian's heartbeat wasn't affected by anything that was going on. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but it seemed that I was heading to a vaginal delivery! I asked the doctor if he had done any VBAC's and he said he had 10 years experience! What a relief to be in the hands of someone w/ that much experience. God had orchestrated every single detail. I was praying the entire time for the safety of our baby and that God would make happen whatever it was best. I gave it to God completely and I know His will would be done. Dr. Stevenson came back and wanted me to wait a bit longer before pushing. He said that the best pushers are the ones who can feel a little bit (that meant to feel a bit of pain). My epidural wore off too much and I could completely feel contractions on the right side. This is exactly what happened with my first pregnancy. The anesthesiologist came back and gave me some more meds. As he said: "It's hard to chase the pain". And, yes, he was so right! I got some relief, but I could still feel a lot of pain. There was no time to give me any more drugs...it was time to PUSH!!! It felt so surreal. I had no idea that labor was so hard! I pushed for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Our baby girl was finally born at 6:09pm. I looked at her and wept. It was beautiful moment and I was so glad she was healthy and perfect. I'm was so thankful God allowed me to experience avaginal delivery. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life!




8 lbs 8 ounces and 22 inches of pure perfection!



Proud Dad and Wonderful Coach and husband

First time we locked eyes

So happy holding my baby girl!




Jacqueline first time seeing her baby sister
Here is the smile we were hoping for

Showing off her big sister shirt










No comments: